Sunday, August 29, 2010

Not just grains

Especially for stews, soups and gruels, I have also been known to slip in peas and beans:

Adzuki beans- congees are the popular one for these but I have been known to bung them in a stew.

Chickpeas (Garbanzo beans) -these don't cook for like forever, seriously about two days in the pot til they're soft...

Black beans - dried or canned, all good.

Kidney beans - chilli is the obvious one... mmm chilli.

Haricot beans (baked beans beans) / Navy beans - good for freaking everything really.

Pinto beans - I haven't really noticed the difference between these and haricot, except for the speckles, but I've only done them in a mixed bean dish, so haven't really tested them a lot.

Lima beans (butter beans) I just added small ones into a chili along with a bean mix, it was nice.

Mungbeans- in a few congees but I haven't tried them yet...

Black eyed peas - I've only done this in a chicken soup. But it was a good soup.

Peas (split peas, green, yellow, blue peas, whero peas.)

Lentils, (red, orange, brown, green, I just got some black and white ones)

No comments:

Post a Comment