Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sorghum (Milo)

From what Google tells me, this seems to be the name of a family of grains: Kafir, Kafir corn, durra, milo, maize, egyptian corn, african millet, black indian millet and pearl millet. I see a lot of recipes using sorghum flour, but little with grains. Wikipedia helped, apparently the main name you'd be looking for would be Milo.

I managed to find some sorghum meal in my local International aisle under a South African brand called Malta Bella. It's is unrefined and gluten free. It tastes malty, almost chocolatey (think Milo drink) with the consistency of wet sand until fully cooked, when it goes softer and slightly gluey. The boxed mix is just sorghum and salt, and is too salty for my taste, so I would recommend rinsing it or adding no more salt if using it in a recipe. Apparently you can have it sweet or savoury and put it into breads and pancakes. It's very nutritious and low-GI.


As this is not sorghum grains, I can't offer directions on how to cook it except to say: follow packet instructions.




No comments:

Post a Comment